Monday, October 20, 2008

Crafty for Halloween

Shayla wanted to be a Candy Corn Fairy for Halloween. All fine and dandy, but the costume was $56 in the magazine!! Ebay had them going for $30. So I agreed to make the costume and she agreed to be a regular candy corn. No pattern. I thought about it and this is the process..

I traced(with chalk) a dress she had and altered it a little onto felt.Next, I cut some orange and yellow felt and pinned it on. Dragged the sewing machine out of the cubby hole. The kids loved helping me and watching. You can see Riana sitting on the table to get a good look.
I went to 3 stores looking for candy corn ribbon. Finally I found some today. This is Shayla modeling the final product.
We are going to string some candy corn for a necklace.(not shown)
So did I save some money? You bet!
Felt 1 yard of Black
1/2 yard of orange
1/2 yard of yellow........$5.00
Candy corn ribbon.......$1.00 on sale
Candy corn for necklace....$.99

I thank my mom for the sewing machine, My grandmother for the sewing kit box, and my 4-H sewing classes.

No comments: